Over a year ago I purchased a weaving kit, something I rarely do, for a Bronson lace shawl made with alpaca/silk. It was a good deal from Yarn Barn of Kansas. The yarn was on the expensive side and the draft was easy enough. I made it for my best friend. I should say I cursed, struggled and pulled my hair out over that shawl. It was my second 8 shaft project on the Julia. The first, a simple twill bread cloth, was not a success. I adjusted the 8 shafts, lamms and treadles on my Julia countermarch loom an easy dozen times before I finished that shawl. It’s a beautiful piece. I’d love to make another one but not on that loom. Julia and I are parting ways.
After I finished the shawl, I took 4 shafts off the Julia and wove several other items successfully. I concluded that Julia and I do not work together in 8 shafts. After a while I began thinking, how ridiculous. I bought an 8 shaft loom. I want to weave 8 shaft patterns. The only conclusion I came to was that I needed to sell the Julia and buy a different loom.
So, after several months and several postings on weaving sales sites, Julia is heading to a new home. I hope you enjoyed my little video tribute to Julia.
Next week I’ll return with some big baby wrap news!
Merry Christmas to all!!